Dees and Divents

Gan canny man. Be neitha radgy nor a doylum.

Tuesday 20 September 2011

First Proper Grayling

Last week of the summer holidays 2011 and I left my wife with the kids for the day and headed over to the Eden at Kirkby Stephen. Cracking river, really beautiful. Picked up a replacement rod (snapped tip off my 7'6" shaky 4# on the river Brathay the night before) on the way over from the good people at John Norris and got permit from the post office in the town square. Another 15min drive and I was on the river.
Started fishing just below this little bridge. After 2 hrs, a few half hearted takes, and a leg full of river I retired to the bank for sarnies and coffee. I was just beginning to take off the waders to try and dry my feet when the fish started rising. Stepped back into the river where this photo was taken and I hooked this beautiful Grayling on my first cast.

I was fishing a duo with adams on the dropper and GRHE (beaded) on the point. She took the hares ear solidly and i was in. Magical moment. I knew it was special and unlike me managed to play the fish successfully for at least 5minutes. finally taking her to hand and returning after this photo. i estimate 1.5 to 2 lb but felt bigger at the time. 

Spent the rest of the day further up river, met a few bods who told the same sorry story of 'not much happening' and it didn't. not a touch for the rest of the day. Still it was worth it. Must get back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment