Dees and Divents

Gan canny man. Be neitha radgy nor a doylum.

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Downstream Wet Fly

Started at the car park just outside Rothbury and fished downstream wets towards Rothbury. Now this is not a technique I am familiar with, in fact I have never tried this for a whole session...thats the plan for today. I get the impression I am making things difficult for myself by being an upstream purist, I am certainly not catching very much recently.  I planned to switch to dry fly only if a substantial hatch of Mayfly presented its self, it didn't.

Started with gold bead rabbit fur nymph on the point and Stewarts spider on the dropper. Took this lovely wild fish after 5 mins... look at the colours... 


Took fish at regular interval on this set up, all were wild and quite small though. Stopped for cheese and tomato sandwich just before town and headed back to the car. 
I'm beginning to wonder where all the stocked fish are going in the Coquet? after speaking to a few other anglers (trotting worms) the consensus is that the stockies are elusive. Are there any in there?

perfect camouflage

The Coquet wild brown trout are a beautiful hard fighting fish but I would like to hook something a little bigger once in a while.

Switched to green tungsten rabbit fur nymph with PTN on dropper and fished some likley looking sections upstream towards Ladys Bridge. Fished a smashing sheltered 'S' bend just off the golf course and hooked a few more WBT. Pink bead rabbit fur nymph proving to be most popular.

Rain stopped play at around 6.00

I plan to tie some more rabbit fur nymphs before my next visit and concentrate on the stretch before Ladys Bridge again. I find the rabbit fur a bit more 'buggy' looking than hares mask and the tungsten bead gets the point fly down to the bottom  lot quicker than a standard bead. Not sure if the colour has an effect or not but its worth a try innit?

Need a new pair of gravel guards before my next session. The cheap Snowbee neoprene jobbies lasted all of 2 sessions before the zips popped... must be my fell runners calf muscles.

Also, need a waterproof flybox for my dries. Oh and a new rod would be nice, 9' for a 4# should help with the wets/nymphs.

Always learning, always spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment