Dees and Divents

Gan canny man. Be neitha radgy nor a doylum.

Friday 8 June 2012

The cost of obsession.

I keep on spending but fishing keeps on giving. Every outing throws up another essential piece of kit that I never knew i needed. Last trip to the Coquet showed me that I needed.... New tippet, water proof fly box and better gravel guards. Three things that I never new existed a few years ago. Now I cant live without them.

Flyfishing keeps on giving though. Im obsessed.

The more time that is spent flyfishing the more new challenges are discovered. My current challenge is to get to grips with downstream wet fly. I know that after a few more sessions I will find some useful downstream skills that will serve me well. I also appreciate that I will never master even this relatively easy area of flyfishing. I will never become an Expert. They dont exist. There are only better flyfishers on different days to different fish in different locations under different weather conditions.

This is the enduring charm of Flyfishing.

I have in the past cultivated other obsessions. I have held on to a few but they have ceased to be obsessions any longer. I still play tennis, but am no longer obsessed. I still run, but no longer obsess over it. I play guitar, but no longer spend hour after hour practicing. I support Newcastle United but my mood no longer depends upon results.

I enjoy the peace and nature and challenge and wildlife and location and event and, and, and..... the gear.

Now where can I get a fluorescent indicator leader....furled of course?





No comments:

Post a Comment