Dees and Divents

Gan canny man. Be neitha radgy nor a doylum.

Sunday 17 February 2013

New Season - New River

Out of fishing hibernation and thoughts go towards the year ahead. Spring is beginning to dawn and I love it.

Not so much a new river I suppose, but a new one for me. I have enquired about membership with BABAA after reading some encouraging posts from fly fishing blogger BloodyFishing.

So the River Blyth it is then?

I had a very disappointing season last year on the Coquet. There was a number of reasons for this.


  • the weather was terrible. biblical downpours made fishing difficult to say the least.
  • the distance to the Coquet from home and work meant a 45 minute drive to riverbank. now this may not seem like a long time but im a family man and every minute counts when you are trying not to spend too long away from home.
  • 2012 was challenging year in other areas of life, nuff said.
I have never fished the Blyth before but the BABAA membership is reasonably cheap so i could still splash out on day tickets for the Derwent if it doesn't suit.

I can reach the Blyth in 20mins which will give me an extra hour on the river with each trip, plus the possibility of 'cheeky' visits after work when time allows.

I have missed fishing and am keen to get out. I need to find out when the river is stocked and plan for an early march trip.

The remainder of February can be given over to replenishing the fly box. I still have a well stocked box of feathers and furs so no spending needed there. Black Spiders, GRHE, PTN, coot wing spider, top of the list.

I own a 7 1/2 ' Shakespeare Trion rod which would seem to be ok for the heavily tree lined blyth. 

Its been a lovely day today, the kind of day that whispers promises of the spring thats around the corner. Sunlight dappled water, the colour green with a azure background, the sound of birdsong and insect drone. the sparkle of broken water as trout feed. Cant wait.

1 comment:

  1. It was a canny season on the Blyth last year but like the Coquet somewhat spoiled by the amount of rain that came down

    ReplyDelete